New Beta 08/2009

Previous Daslight version. Can manage up to 6 DMX universes depending on the hardware connected

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

Andre

New Beta 08/2009

Post by Andre »

New beta is out dated 27 Aug 2009.
With lack of a changelog being supplied it is hard to see what the improvements/changes are but I have seen a couple.

On the "Live" screen on each of the "Groups" headers the icons have been changed to represent stop and start(play). Pressing the play button will start all scenes in the group (from top to bottom, not instantainously). If any of the scenes have a release of "Group" it will turn off any other scene that has started all ready, so careful planning of this feature will be needed.
I can see this as being an alternative way of starting a lot of scenes almost simultaneously, to do this you would set the "Jump" values of each scene to "Jump" start scenes in other groups.

Other improvements seem to be in the DVS (Virtual Screen) program.
It seems you can now take it out of FullScreen and drag to 2nd monitor and then FullScreen it again and be able to edit the buttons etc as you could on main monitor (did not work before).
Also buttons now have an icon to show it is active or not. A little square in top right corner of the button which shows Red when stopped and Green when it is active.

Not sure if this is a bug or not.
If you create an effect button to launch a scene that does not have auto release, the scene it starts as expected but if you click the effect button again. It does not stop it. Actually I have just answered my own question, it is not a bug. It is defined as "Start a scene" in the properties of the effect.

Not sure what else has been changed/added/fixed.

Still no re-ordering/moving of groups either in the live or editor.
Still no colouring of group headers or scenes within groups. I still find this very frustrating as when you have a large number of scenes, like myself over 400 and you have to scroll left/right it is hard to notice exactly where you are. With a colour it would make it much eaiser to notice where you are. I am using 1920x1200 screen so have a large real estate already. Thanks to the DVS I can put important scenes on there and minmise certain groups to make more visable on the "Live" screen. Again clever pre-planning will help you achieve the best layout to use for your particular use of DVC2.
Last edited by Andre on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre
Richard CSL

NEW BETA VERSION. please COLOURED GROUPS ......MASTER DIMMER

Post by Richard CSL »

Yes downloaded and looked at this, my question is , is this really what we want. and obviously this was more important than COLOURED GROUPS, which we have been asking for two years now. ????

Especially those of us with large numbers of groups. is this new function supposed to be a multi start option for many scenes.????

I could not make any sense of it at all. Just makes the screen look more cluttered. press a button and jump to the last scene in a group.

The new DVC idiot screen would not work at all, I clicked on the icon and got a full blank grey screen. no key presses seemed to do anything, alt tab then close was the only way out.

so Vianney if you read this please give us COLOURED GROUP OPTIONS and a MASTER DIMMER please please please please, as this would make life so much easier.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi Richard,

The DVS has no keys !!!!!, you need to right click the screen to get a context menu, then you can start doing stuff. Caught me out first time I used it. Unless it is touch screen then maybe you can do something else, never had a touch screen so I do not know how you simulate a right click with you fingers ??????

I did a post about it a while ago, see here http://www.daslight.com/support/viewtop ... ght=screen

Maybe I should do a video tutorial of how to use it in the near future.

The "new" play all group button will only play them "ALL" if they do not have a Release of "Group" or "General", i.e. needs Release to be set as "Off", then all in group will start near enough at the sametime. Otherwise they do as you have found out, because what it really doing is working from the top of the group and starting the first scene, then the next, now if a scene has a Release of Group or General it will turn of either other scenes in Group or all other scenes, the same as what it does if you was to click them with the mouse, then on to the next scene in group etc. etc.
When I first tried it it did the same to me, just ran through the group and ended up on the last in the group running and wondered what the hell is this doing.

I am sorry Vianney, we really do need information of what has been changed/updated/fixed/added in any new releases, be it "Release" or "Beta" versions, so we can check to see if things are working properly and report back to yourselves.

Hope that helps,
Andre
Richard CSL

Post by Richard CSL »

I have had a chance to have a proper play with it now , and yes it is the group on function that we have all been asking for ie multiple scene start.

However this is a function that if used by misteak on the wrong group, will cause chaos. surely this function should have a toggle on off for a group facility so the wrong groups cannot be activated by misteak, and as you say for most of us this means total restructure of our shows, because we never anticipated that thu multi scene function would end up like this.!!

Another starteling addition is 20 UNIVERSES Oh My God, what is that all about, could we not have had coloured groups first.!! imagine 10,240 channels, and a screen that will have to look like a forest of grey and orange, how on earth would a Light Jockey navigate his way round that.

Perhaps this will put pressure on Vianney.

Have you checked out the Fx function there have been some changes here too, ie when you have created your Fx where you want to save it, instead of it plonking up a new group of imported scenes.

I had another look at the DVS idiot screen, after reading your post again got it to work. Now logic would dictate that there should be an option to auto create all your scenes automatically, coz like you it will take me a month of sundays to insert a new button, then assign the correct scene number note number only , not name. and what is that dangerous command at the bottom.????? do you wish to shut down windows. WOW really should that be there Vianney.???

I will keep prodding asround the beta version , see if there is anything else.

At least this shows they are still out there not quite given up on us all yet.
Music sets the mood Lighting sets the ambience
Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi Richard,

I had not checked out the FX Generator as it is something I rarely use, I have used it for creating shapes, but always end up going into the scene manually to take out erroneous steps !!!!!!!!! and adjust the timing etc.

Yes it would be nice to have a screen where you could toggle off the "RUN Group" function on selected scenes. Maybe this should be part of the editor screen, in the Group header have a tick option thats says "Allow Group Start/Stop ?".

The 20 universes is for the new DMX Over Ethernet connected interface DVC2 IP. Not sure if it is Art-Net compatible though as only can go on the details supplied on the website.

I know we want coloured groups and away to arange the groups etc. but because of the new interfaces arriving on the scene, remember Daslight and Sunlite use the same interfaces, albeit, some slight firmware changes so they have had to introduce the software to cover them.

I have got to check to see if DVS allows multiple scene starts as the last time I tried it would only do 2, but I am sure that was something I was doing, rather than a fault of the software, maybe it was the group release thing raising its ugly head again.

As you said "At least this shows they are still out there not quite given up on us all yet."
Andre