[bug] Some more isssues...

The new Daslight - for PC and Mac

Moderators: TomHat, simonB

jkanzel
Operating System: Mac OS X

[bug] Some more isssues...

Post by jkanzel »

Hello there,

I'd like to mention two frustrating issues.

First of all, there is UI cropping issue that plagues the "Other" tab of the "Edit" and "Live" scene controls. As I've reported previously... https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8995... for fixtures with many controls, some channels might not be able to be viewed properly. See new example...

FADER_VIEW.jpg
FADER_VIEW.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 111 times
See here all channels for this fixture

OTHER_VIEW_CROPPED.jpg
OTHER_VIEW_CROPPED.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 111 times
CH17, "Pattern Drawing Ripple" is the furthest possible reached control. CH18 is cropped out.

OTHER_VIEW_CROPPED2.jpg
OTHER_VIEW_CROPPED2.jpg (188.83 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Workaround... by selecting an additional fixture, the cropping issue is passed on to the newly selected fixture.

Why is this especially frustrating? features can't be assigned to scene FX (CHASER FX, VALUE FX, CURVE FX, etc.) if they are cropped out of "OTHER" and they can not be assigned in the "FADER" pane.

This brings me to a second major frustration. The process of setting up and testing new fixtures is incredibly cumbersome in Daslight 5. For fixtures with unclear or even incorrect DMX channel definitions, there comes the joy of testing, tweaking, and retesting the .ssl2 profiles. Aside from a lack of detailed information on the profile builder (and my unanswered questions https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8997), I have no major qualms with the tool. My frustrations come from how Daslight handles reloading fixture profiles. Making changes to a profile and reloading causes scenes interacting with it to break... with varied results, but always requiring the effort of redoing most of the work.

And yes, true, you can avoid this by thoroughly testing a fixture's .ssl2 before setting up the control scenes in your project. But in this case, I find myself in a predicament. One of the most common issues I find with fixture profiles is when features are not able to be assigned to scene FX. Typically this just requires minor tweaking in the profile builder and reloading the profile. This is where these two issues came together to bite me. Because CH18 in the "OTHER" pane was not visible, I missed testing it when setting up the fixture. I spent many hours setting up complex scenes, and then I realized that I had not utilized one of the controls available. Sure enough, I found that the UI cropping issue hid the control from me and that several profile definition bugs in CH18.

So now I face a choice,
Either I fix the profile and lose all my progress
Or I leave the profile issue and I'm limited to "STEP FX" to interact with the features.

Any suggestions for reloading a modified profile without breaking scene links is much appreciated :)

BR,
JK
lpredovic
Operating System: Windows

Re: [bug] Some more isssues...

Post by lpredovic »

jkanzel wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 pm Hello there,

I'd like to mention two frustrating issues.

First of all, there is UI cropping issue that plagues the "Other" tab of the "Edit" and "Live" scene controls. As I've reported previously... https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8995... for fixtures with many controls, some channels might not be able to be viewed properly. See new example...

FADER_VIEW.jpg
See here all channels for this fixture

OTHER_VIEW_CROPPED.jpg
CH17, "Pattern Drawing Ripple" is the furthest possible reached control. CH18 is cropped out.

OTHER_VIEW_CROPPED2.jpg
Workaround... by selecting an additional fixture, the cropping issue is passed on to the newly selected fixture.

Why is this especially frustrating? features can't be assigned to scene FX (CHASER FX, VALUE FX, CURVE FX, etc.) if they are cropped out of "OTHER" and they can not be assigned in the "FADER" pane.

This brings me to a second major frustration. The process of setting up and testing new fixtures is incredibly cumbersome in Daslight 5. For fixtures with unclear or even incorrect DMX channel definitions, there comes the joy of testing, tweaking, and retesting the .ssl2 profiles. Aside from a lack of detailed information on the profile builder (and my unanswered questions https://forum.daslight.com/viewtopic.php?t=8997uno online), I have no major qualms with the tool. My frustrations come from how Daslight handles reloading fixture profiles. Making changes to a profile and reloading causes scenes interacting with it to break... with varied results, but always requiring the effort of redoing most of the work.

And yes, true, you can avoid this by thoroughly testing a fixture's .ssl2 before setting up the control scenes in your project. But in this case, I find myself in a predicament. One of the most common issues I find with fixture profiles is when features are not able to be assigned to scene FX. Typically this just requires minor tweaking in the profile builder and reloading the profile. This is where these two issues came together to bite me. Because CH18 in the "OTHER" pane was not visible, I missed testing it when setting up the fixture. I spent many hours setting up complex scenes, and then I realized that I had not utilized one of the controls available. Sure enough, I found that the UI cropping issue hid the control from me and that several profile definition bugs in CH18.

So now I face a choice,
Either I fix the profile and lose all my progress
Or I leave the profile issue and I'm limited to "STEP FX" to interact with the features.

Any suggestions for reloading a modified profile without breaking scene links is much appreciated :)

BR,
JK
If possible, try to isolate the scenes that rely on the problematic fixture and reload the profile while only those scenes are loaded. This might minimize the impact of broken links.

Consider creating backups of your scenes before reloading the profile. This way, if something breaks, you can revert to the previous version.